Self-cleaning oven sparks fire on Meadow Place

An unattended self-cleaning sparked a fire at 115 Meadow Place on June 8th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
An unattended self-cleaning sparked a fire at 115 Meadow Place on June 8th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA – An unattended self-cleaning oven pushed firefighters into action midday Friday according to U-Crest Fire Chief Bryan Chapman.

Several fire companies responded to 115 Meadow Place around 10:45 am to assist U-Crest firefighters after a neighbor reported seeing smoke emanating from the apartment complex.

Mr. Chapman says crews found smoke in the basement and on the first floor.  Further investigation found the fire inside an over on the first floor.  The fire was knocked down using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

No one was home at the time of the fire.  It appears the self-cleaning overheated sparking the fire.

Copyright 2018 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.

Send a News Tip to Cheektowaga Chronicle

Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.  

* indicates required