CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A handful of medical oxygen tanks next to a dumpster at the Linda Lane Apartments appear to have been lit on fire causing a small explosion.
The incident happened around 6:45 p.m. Tuesday near 52 Linda Drive.
Chief Brain Chapman of the U-Crest Fire Department tells Cheektowaga Chronicle that an apartment building and nearby vehicle were hit by a tank when the explosion happened, but nobody was hurt.
“To me, it looks like it was intentionally set with rags and flame but bystanders said that nobody was sitting here playing with an open flame. It’s going to be on the cops to investigate and to see if anybody has camera footage,” said Chief Chapman.
The tanks were charred and smoldering rags were found nearby the tanks when firefighters arrived.
“The apartment complex hired some cleaning crew to clean out apartments that were left. They’re going to check with them to see if they threw them in there,” added Chief Chapman.
Chief Chapman says tanks should be de-valved and holes drilled into them before disposing of them.
The Cheektowaga Police is conducting an investigation.
Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.
— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.
— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.