CHEEKTOWAGA – An oxygen-dependent woman was assisted out of her burning house by a passerby Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to a basement fire just after 3 pm at 1423 Cleveland Drive in the Cleveland Hill Fire District.
Arriving crews found a dryer fire in the basement. Cleveland Hill’s 2nd Assistant Chief Dennis Kohn tells Cheektowaga Chronicle that the fire was spreading when the initial attack crew made entry into the building.
“When they came down it was starting to move up through the stairwell coming up the basement, and there was some electrical sparking, so they had to adjust their tactics a little bit with the water,” said Mr. Kohn.
The fire was extinguished once firefighters got water on the fire.
The oxygen-dependent woman was assisted out of the home before firefighters arrived. She was checked out by an AMR ambulance crew.
Three pet birds, a macaw, cockatiel and a lovebird were rescued from the fire, but a fourth bird died from smoke inhalation.
Pine Hill, U-Crest, Rescue, Hy-View and Southline firefighters assisted Cleveland Hill at the scene. Sloan firefighters covered Cleveland Hill’s district during the incident.