Neighbor saves woman from fire on Annamarie Terrace

CHEEKTOWAGA – An Annamarie Terrace resident is alive after her neighbor ran into her smoke-filled home and pulled her out as a fire was consuming her home.

Next door neighbor David Villa and his wife heard a small explosion and then, “Our lights flickered, and then my wife and I started to smell smoke.  I turned around to look out my window the whole underneath was engulfed in flames,” said Mr. Villa.

While his wife Jennifer called 911 to report the fire, David put on his boots and ran to help his neighbor.

A subscriber submitted photo of the fire on Annamarie Terrace on December 13th.
A subscriber submitted photo of the fire on Annamarie Terrace on December 13th.

“The place was filled with smoke – she was screaming for help,” added Mr. Villa. “She has a prosthetic leg, so she’s not mobile whatsoever.  I just grabbed her by the arm, and I pulled her out, got her some blankets from my house and took her over to our neighbor.”

The resident was later checked out by an American Medical Response ambulance crew and was transported to Millard Fillmore Hospital as a precaution.

The fire started around 9:30 Wednesday evening at 75 Annamarie Terrace.  Hy-View fire chief Dan Hatfield says a quick response from the Depew Fire Department helped stop the fire from spreading to adjacent homes.

“They were out on a call, so there were already at their fire station.  They got here relatively quickly, and we had water on the fire in a very short period of time,” said Chief Hatfield.

Two Depew firefighters were slightly hurt while fighting the fire according to a source.  One fell through the home’s floor, and another rolled his ankle.  Both remained on duty.

Light snow was falling making the roads greasy and the temperature at the time of the fire was 17 degrees.

Hy-View firefighters were assisted at the scene by U-Crest, Pine Hill, Cleveland Hill, Forks, Rescue, Depew, and Bowmansville.  Sloan firefighters filled Hy-View’s fire station.

“With a fire like this and with the weather conditions what they are you don’t need the apparatus.  You pretty much need the manpower for rehabbing because the guys get cold, they go through a bottle of air, you got to change the guys out,” added. Mr. Hatfield.

He also said that new fire hydrants installed in the Sky Harbor community helped tremendously.

The home was deemed a total loss, and the cause will be investigated by the Cheektowaga Police Department.

Support our photojournalism by purchasing digital downloads or physical prints from this fire.

Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.

— Click here to send a News Tip to Cheektowaga Chronicle

— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.

— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.

* indicates required