Four people displaced from attic fire on Tudor Road

Firefighters responded to 100 Tudor Road on April 10th to extinguish a fire inside the home's attic. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Firefighters responded to 100 Tudor Road on April 10th to extinguish a fire inside the home's attic. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA – Four people were displaced from a Tudor Road home Tuesday night after a fire broke out in the ceiling of the home’s bathroom according to fire officials.

Firefighters were called to 100 Tudor Road at 8:43 pm to investigate a report of smoke in the attic.  Cleveland Hill Fire Chief Matthew Chowaniec tells Cheektowaga Chronicle the home’s smoke alarms were activated and they found a light haze of smoke.

“We went and got our gear, went upstairs and found a considerable amount of more smoke.  It started pouring out of the attic crawlspace. A further investigation found a fire above a bathroom,” said Mr. Chowaniec.

The fire was mainly found around an electrical light/ventilation fan fixture.  “It had burned significantly right above that,” added Mr. Chowaniec.

The fire was quickly put out, but firefighters had a job of finding “hot spots” in the attic because of blown-in insulation.

The upper floor of the home sustained smoke damage while the first floor incurred a lot of water damage.

Mr. Chowaniec stressed that the smoke alarm in the home was a positive factor.  “Early detection with the smoke detector saved us from being here for a long night and the homeowner from a lot more grief.  Granted they’re going to have a long road ahead of them, but it’s better than not having a house at all.” 

The Red Cross was notified to assist two of the residents of the home.  Another two residents were going to stay with a neighbor.  One of the occupants was checked out by an ambulance for smoke inhalation but did not go to the hospital.  No firefighters were reported hurt at the time of our interview with the fire chief.

A fire investigator from the Cheektowaga Police Department will confirm initial findings.  “It appears electrical in nature, but there are one or two additional spots that we want them to come and verify,” added Mr. Chowaniec.

The Erie County Water Authority responded a few doors down from the fire after a water main broke.  A worker says the break was related to the fire.

Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.

— Click here to send a News Tip to Cheektowaga Chronicle

— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.

— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.

* indicates required