CHEEKTOWAGA – Firefighters worked through stifling heat Wednesday night after an electrical fire broke out inside a home on Hedwig Avenue in the Walden Fire District.
The fire broke out just after 8 pm between the first and second floor of 56 Hedwig Avenue.
“We had smoke on the second floor. There were no visible flames, so we had to open the walls and floors up to find the source,” said John Tryjankowski, Chief of Rescue Hose Company. “We did use a hand line to wet down a few areas and to ventilate the second floor.”
Two dogs were home alone when the fire broke out. They were not hurt. The home’s residents were going to stay with family members according to Mr. Tryjankowski.
Combining the heat and humidity at the time of the fire the temperature felt like 89 degrees.
“It’s a real stress on our guys. We brought in extra companies so we could relive the crews as needed – a lot of hydration,” added Mr. Tryjankowski.
Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.
— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.
— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.