Firefighters fight afternoon dryer fire on Heritage Court

Firefighters extinguish a dryer fire on Heritage Court on July 5th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Firefighters extinguish a dryer fire on Heritage Court on July 5th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA – Several fire departments assisted U-Crest firefighters at the scene of a dryer fire at 19 Heritage Court Thursday afternoon.

Only one person was home at the time and he was doing laundry when the fire broke out according to U-Crest Fire Chief Bryan Chapman Jr.  He was the one to call 911.

“First in crews located where the fire was and called for a hose line.  Once we got to [the fire] we isolated it and contained it to the dryer,” said Mr. Chapman.  “Smoke was pretty heavy in the basement and started coming up to the first floor and was pushing out of the garage but once the fire went out, we were able to clear it.”

The charred dryer was removed from the structure.  No one was hurt.

Mr. Chapman says the Red Cross was not requested at the time of our interview Thursday afternoon.

Copyright 2018 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.

Send a News Tip to Cheektowaga Chronicle

Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.  

* indicates required