Community rallies around victims of kitchen fire

A dinnertime kitchen fire gutted an Autumnwood Drive home and left a family of five homeless on June 27th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
A dinnertime kitchen fire gutted an Autumnwood Drive home and left a family of five homeless on June 27th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA – The victims of a kitchen fire on Autumnwood Drive are getting assistance in rebuilding their lives from caring community members.

South Line firefighters were alerted to the blaze inside 60 Autumnwood Drive on June 27th.  The bulk of the fire was found on the first floor of the split-level in the kitchen area.

A GoFundMe page was established by a neighbor to help.  The family of five just moved into the home six months ago with their three dogs and one lizard according to the page.  Over $1,900 was raised in under a week.

Southline Little League ran a fundraiser over the weekend that raised $1,000 for the family.  Roughly 300 families from the organization supported the effort according to AJ Caddell, VP of Baseball Operations.

The cause of the fire appears to be accidental cooking.

Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.

— Click here to send a News Tip to Cheektowaga Chronicle

— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.

— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.

* indicates required