CHEEKTOWAGA – An electrical issue may have sparked a fire that left one person temporarily homeless in Cleveland Hill’s Fire District Wednesday night.
The fire started around 9:30 pm in a first-floor bedroom at 686 Mapleview Road.
Cleveland Hill 1st Assistant Chief David Spahr tells Cheektowaga Chronicle firefighters were on scene within three minutes of being alerted to the call for help.
“When I first got here I saw heavy smoke coming out the two-three corner near the side door,” said Mr. Spahr.
He says a hose team from Cleveland Hill’s Engine 1 was first to put water on the fire. Firefighters brought the flames under control in about ten minutes.
“We had two working hand lines and extensive overhaul to the bedroom, but we stopped the fire at the bedroom, so there was no extensive spread [of fire] to the rest of the house,” added Mr. Spahr.
One woman was home at the time fire and was able to escape unharmed. The Red Cross was called to offer assistance. Mr. Spahr says fire crews saved a rabbit.
One Cleveland Hill firefighter had “an issue” while fighting the fire and was transported to Buffalo General Medical Center for evaluation.
The cause of the fire appears to be electrical according to Mr. Spahr. “It looks to be a bad outlet in nature. The resident claims she had some issues earlier in the night.” A fire investigator from the Cheektowaga Police Department was called to the scene to determine if everyone’s belief was correct.
Copyright 2019 Crabapple Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without prior permission.
— Scammed, ripped off, or need help with an issue with the government? Let us know and Chronicle Connects will try to help bring a resolution to your issue.
— Subscribe to our mailing list below and read the latest news from Cheektowaga Chronicle in your email every morning at 9 am.