CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A National Grid worker was severely shocked by electricity late Wednesday morning while a crew was installing a new power pole off Ceadargrove Circle.
The incident happened around 11:30 a.m. outside of 49 Glenwood Court.
“The pole started moving as they tried to install it into the ground and one of the workers went to grab the pole to steady it. As they were trying to move it back off the wires an arc came through the pole and struck the worker at the bottom,” said Cheektowaga Police Lieutenant Anthony Filipski.
Cleveland Hill firefighters and an American Medical Response crew stabilized the man at the scene before he was rushed by ambulance under a police escort to Erie County Medical Center for further treatment. Authorities did not know the victim’s updated medical condition at the time of publication.
An estimated 256 National Grid customers lost service after crews shut the power off to the neighborhood following the accident.
National Grid spokesperson David Bertola released the following statement:
“In the course of performing his job, one of our electric line workers was injured. He was transported to the local hospital where he is being treated for his injuries. The safety of our employees continues to be our priority and we are conducting a full investigation. Please keep our employees and their families in your thoughts and prayers.”
Mr. Bertola released a second statement Thursday afternoon:
“National Grid is pleased to report that our employee’s condition has improved since yesterday. His family is by his side and he is in good spirits. We will continue to support him on his road to recovery. National Grid is committed to the safety of our employees and continues to review the incident.”
The Cheektowaga Police are classifying this incident as an industrial accident.