Investigators probe fire inside wall on Marne Road

Pine Hill firefighters and neighboring departments work to extinguish a residential structure fire on July 7, 2017. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Pine Hill firefighters and neighboring departments work to extinguish a residential structure fire on July 7, 2017. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A small overnight structure fire displaced four residents from a duplex in the Pine Hill Fire District Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to 52 Marne Road around 1:45 a.m. for a working structure fire with reported people trapped.

Leonard Luh, Fire Chief of Pine Hill Hose Company tells Cheektowaga Chronicle the fire was located in the home’s side hallway.

“A lot of heavy smoke and once they popped the door they found fire in the threshold area and going up to the first-floor stairwell,” said Chief Luh.

Crews used a gas powered saw to cut into the wall.

“We had to open everything up and try to find where the extension was and find out where the point of origin was.  We think it started somewhere in the back hallway but we’re not sure if it was electrical or by some other incendiary way,” continued Chief Luh.

Four people escaped the fire without injury.  Chief Luh says an upstairs tenant, thinking she was trapped by the fire, climbed out onto a first-floor roof for safety.  A police officer was able to escort her out through the first-floor apartment.

Assisting Pine Hill at the scene were Cleveland Hill, Rescue, Forks, Hy-View, Snyder, and the town’s disaster coordinator.  Sloan responded to Pine Hill’s Hall.