Firefighters fight afternoon kitchen fire on Gualbert Avenue

A man embraces the resident who escaped a kitchen fire in a Gualbert Avenue apartment on September 15th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
A man embraces the resident who escaped a kitchen fire in a Gualbert Avenue apartment on September 15th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – A senior citizen was able to escape her apartment after a fire broke out in her kitchen Friday afternoon.

The fire started around 2:30 pm inside the second-floor apartment at 62 Gualbert Avenue in the Walden Fire District.

Alan Wieberg, Chief of the Sloan Active Hose Company, says crews encountered light smoke upon arrival and found fire coming off of the stove when they made entry into the apartment.

PHOTOS: View additional photos associated with this article

“We initially hit it with an extinguisher, and then we brought up a hand line.  We were able to extinguish it before we had any extension into the attic or anywhere else,” said Mr. Wieberg.

Crews from Rescue’s engine 1 used the hand line to open a nearby wall up.

Firefighters extinguish a kitchen fire in a Gualbert Avenue apartment on September 15th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Firefighters extinguish a kitchen fire in a Gualbert Avenue apartment on September 15th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

The resident was able to escape the fire and was checked out by an AMR ambulance crew.  She did not go to the hospital and will stay with family members in the lower apartment.

As for a cause, Mr. Wieberg said, “We think it could be something related to a faulty over at this point or an electrical issue with the oven.”

Firefighters assisting Rescue at the scene included Sloan, Pine Hill, and South Line.