Fire inside Latina Food Service HVAC unit

Firefighters found a seized motor inside a rooftop HVAC unit above the office space of Latina Food Service at 1 Scrivner Drive. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Firefighters found a seized motor inside a rooftop HVAC unit above the office space of Latina Food Service at 1 Scrivner Drive. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – South Line and neighboring fire departments worked to extinguish a fire in a rooftop HVAC unit at Latina Food Service Saturday evening.

Around 5:30 p.m., two employees noticed that electrical circuits tripped inside the building and that it was starting to fill up with smoke.  Firefighters found a seized motor inside a rooftop HVAC unit above the office space of Latina Food Service at 1 Scrivner Drive.

Todd Roland, Captain of South Line Fire Company tells Cheektowaga Chronicle that the breakdown caused a fire inside the unit and flames dropped down between the roof and the ceiling of the office complex.  The fire was extinguished using dry chemical fire extinguishers.

A lot of smoke was generated from the fire and it permeated the office space.  Firefighters broke a window and used a fire hose to ventilate the building.

“Because it’s so segregated, to get fans around the corners and everything in there, it’s easier sometimes to use the hand line and use that for ventilation.  You turn it on and it creates a huge airfoil behind it and pushes the smoke out quicker,” said Roland.

South Line was assisted by Bellevue, Forks, East Seneca, Twin District, Cheektowaga Police and AMR.