Fire crews fight chimney fire on S. Huth Road

Fire crews attend to a fire inside 758 S. Huth Road on November 12th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Fire crews attend to a fire inside 758 S. Huth Road on November 12th. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA – Firefighters fought a fire inside a S. Huth Road address Sunday afternoon in the Cleveland Hill Fire District.

Cleveland Hill Fire Chief Matthew Chowaniec tells Cheektowaga Chronicle that his assistant chief found the fire inside a second floor rear bedroom.

“(He) had enough diligence to go up there, begin an investigation and actually shut the bedroom door to kind of contain it in that back bedroom because the door was open.  If he hadn’t had done that we would have still been here fighting the fire,” said Mr. Chowaniec.

The fire was reported just before 4:45 pm at 758 S. Huth Road.  The bulk of the fire was under control just after 5 pm.

Firefighters used two hose lines to attack the fire.  Mr. Chowaniec says the fire was contained to the bedroom but the second floor sustained heat and smoke damage. Smoke also permeated throughout the first floor.  An initial damage estimate was estimated to be around $25,000.

The fire appears to have started around a wood burning stove’s chimney.

“I was told that it looks like it was radiant heat as well some cracks in some of the tubings to the chimney pipe,” said Mr. Chowaniec.

He reminds everyone to maintain you fireplaces and wood burning stoves to prevent fires.

The occupants have made alternative living arraignments.

One firefighter was evaluated at the scene for a pre-existing medical condition.  He did not go to the hospital.

Video Courtesy Patrick Weisansal: