Fire at R&R BBQ

Firefighters from Doyle Hose and neighboring fire departments fight a fire inside R&R BBQ on Harlem Road August 20, 2017. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)
Firefighters from Doyle Hose and neighboring fire departments fight a fire inside R&R BBQ on Harlem Road August 20, 2017. (Jim Herr/Cheektowaga Chronicle)

CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. – Fire officials think a faulty cooler unit is to blame for a Sunday afternoon fire at R&R BBQ.

Numerous phone calls flooded Cheektowaga Emergency Services around 5:15 pm saying heavy smoke was coming from the roof of the building at 1060 Harlem Road.

Chief Don Szumigala, of the Doyle Hose Company, says firefighters found the fire inside the ceiling shortly after they gained entry to the closed business.

“They started pulling some ceiling units in the back of the structure and found some fire up between the ceiling and the roofline and then proceeded to put that out,” said Mr. Szumigala.

Firefighters were able to stop the fire before it spread to other businesses in the small plaza.

“I don’t have a dollar amount on damages at this time.  It looks like the cause of the fire started from one of the cooler units in the business,” added Mr. Szumigala.

One firefighter slipped and suffered a knee injury and was treated at the scene according to the chief.  The heat was a factor and slowed rehabilitation efforts for crews fighting the fire.

Mr. Szumigala said, “Today was a warmer day than some others, but bearable.  Definitely cooler than our last fire, but a hot day like this definitely makes it difficult to work.”

A resident in an attached apartment escaped the fire unharmed.  There were no other reports of injuries at the time of our interview.

Harlem Road was shut down by police between Clinton Street and Cayuga Creek Road during operations.

Firefighters from Bellevue, South Line, Sloan, Forks, and Winchester in West Seneca assisted Doyle Hose Company at the scene.